Re: Geovision & HA

I went for a very budget system, the GV250, initially with one camera
at the front door, and I later added a camera at the back of the house
too. The camera at the front is B/W and cost over =A3100. The camera at
the back was one of the =A335 colour ones from ebay, and I get better
results from it.

The Geovision system - I quite like the versatility of the overall
system. It is very configurable etc, and very fully featured. I use
the "webcam" feature a lot, and my only gripe is the fact that
the
authentication (user/pass) needs input every time, and can't be saved,
meaning it takes a relatively long time to get logged in (and SWMBO
can never remember her password (or username)

I have the system running on a PIII 933 machine, and it takes about
10% of the CPU.

IMO if you intend to go for a 16 camera system, you need a lot of
grunt, so go for a well spec'ed machine. If you had such a machine, I
would think you could run some other 24/7 applications on there too.
However you may want to think about redundancy. I use my geovision
machine as a media server, which means anytime I do maintenance and
need to reboot / power off, I lose the cameras

Hope that's helpful

Simon

On 05/04/06, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> 'wondered what people's experience with Geovision was - good, bad, or
...=
?

> 'and does it really need to be run on its own PC, networked to another
> running HA, 24/7 (and to another for eveything else), or can both
> co-exist on the same machine.
>
> We're thinking of having fifteen cameras, ten inside & five out'
> with the former each assigned an area of about six-metres square
> (generally, we're open-plan - imagine a loft), but maybe that's too
> much, and I've no idea how to choose the cameras ... or if they'd be
> affordable ...
>
> Or even the PC(s) ... 'still trying to work out which should we go for
..=
.