RE: Video Distribution

  • Subject: RE: Video Distribution
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:42:48 +0100

From: Paul Gale [mailto:groups@xxxxxxx]
> I have a composite matrix switcher (Extron MAV128) which feeds all the
smaller TV's in the house (all of them except my > 50" plasma). You
just can't really tell the difference on these from S-Video etc. The feeds
are all Kat5.

I suppose I won't tell the difference on my TVs either.  SWMBO wants a
23"-26" LCD for the bedroom, and we have a 28" CRT in the
lounge, but everything else is 14" CRT, so picture quality is
immaterial, I guess.  If I need more, I could run a seperate feed over KAT5
for the TV(s) that require(s) it.

> The reason I went this route a few years ago was cost - RGB matrix
switchers were VERY expensive - probably still are?

I looked around a while ago, and there were some cheap solutions.  I'll
have to re-Google and see what I can come up with.

> I'd love an RGB switcher, but just don't need it yet - unless I was to
upgrade all the other TV's to LCD or plasma. I
> certainly do notice the difference on the plasma, which is why I have
a separate RGB Kat5 feed from Sky+ to that.

I've yet to go for a Plasma or LCD, so this is less of an issue for me.  As
it happens, I did get a very swift (and exceedingly informative)
essay^Wemail response to a question I asked Opus directly.  They suggested
I used Opus for the audio, and used a seperate matrix switcher for
RGB/component/HDMI video.  Alternatively, they have more expensive models
that have an RGB option.  I was very impressed with the support they gave
me as a potential customer.  One thing I did notice was that they don't
automagically select the source.  You have to do that manually using the
remote, or I believe the wall unit will do that too.  This means I'm really
looking at a macro-enabled remote, which I'm loathe to do, as they never
have the right buttons, so will probably result in a negative WAF score.
Perhaps growing my own solution is the way forwards, despite SWMBO being
very much for the idea of the Opus system.

Cheers,
Andy