Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: cbus Wiser config agony

RE: OT: Eclipse Internet ADSL Multiple IPS

  • Subject: RE: OT: Eclipse Internet ADSL Multiple IPS
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian.lowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:12:26 +0100

Ahh righty - I use a vigor 2600, so it's incredibly easy to setup the
second IP... But it also doesn't work that well :

It kinda varies with the hardware/sofwtare you use - most of the SOHO
adsl routers have a version of multi-nat that allows multiple IP
addresses with various levels of compatibility and reliability, but all
the ones I have seen are a little ropey in setup terms - I guess once
you step outside of 1 IP, DHCP you are far enough out of the
"normal"
range of users that you are kinda on your own...

Whilst I'd normally say the vigors are great, for this situation, they
really are not that good - by which I mean, they can be configured quite
happily to forward ports inbound to one IP or the other, however,
outbound packets randomly end up on either one. And I do mean random -
it's infuriating to troubleshoot.

I don't know if other adsl routers are better in this regards - I would
certainly hope so!

Ian.