RE: Re: RAID recommendations?

  • Subject: RE: Re: RAID recommendations?
  • From: "John Andrews" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:55:08 +0100

Noel

8 channel - nice card
Yes, most raid arrays can be expanded later, check on the actual card.
With RAID 5, you always loose a disk when working out capacity, but with a
minium of 3 disks. So your sums are right, of 3 x 300gb disks, you get
600g=
disk space. You may want to consider a hot spare. This is an additional
dis=
that is only ever used if one of the other disks fail - the controller
automatically recovers the array to the spare disk. In the 100 servers I
manage, they all have a hot spare.
I normally build them along the lines of: System disk mirrored, 3 x disks
raid 5, and a hot spare.

Hope this helps.=20