From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx on behalf of noel_pilot
Sent: Fri 16/09/2005 12:43
To: UKHA_D Group
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: RAID recommendations?

Hi Paul,
Im looking at something very similar, this highpoint card looks like
it may just do the job.
review here...  http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=3Dreview&dId=3D=
716
hth
Noel
p.s. any luck findding decent cheapish sata caddies??

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul@p...> wrote:
> Thanks, but I should have probably made clear that for various
reasons (NONE of which are anything to do with any kind of
*NIX/Windows zealotry), in this particular instance the storage server
would definately be a windows box, - most likely XP MCE... (but
possibly 2003 server)
>=20
> But OS choices aside, at the moment I'm more interested in narrowing
down my hardware choices... - there are quite a few suitable cards
available from the likes of Promise/Highpoint and others, with prices
ranging from =A350-odd to =A3300-odd
>=20
> One that I'm giving serious consideration to at the moment is the
Highpoint RocketRaid RR1820A 8Ch SATA Raid Adaptor, which can be had
for about =A3160 delivered...
>=20
> This has the following features that I'm attracted to...
>=20
> 8 SATA ports - I can add a few drives now, and have expansion
capability later as/when I need
> PCI  *and*  PCI-X compatible (so I can use my current m/board with a
PCI slot, but have an upgrade path to a PCI-X slot later)
> Arrays can be expanded by adding more drives (without data loss I
believe)
> Has a "gigabyte boundary" feature so that drives of very
slightly
different sizes can be mixed in an array with minimal loss of capacity
> Reasonable price!
>=20
> BUT!!!
>=20
> I have had bad experiences in the past with Highpoint controllers
(embedded motherboard ones that is), and I know a few other people
have in the past as well... - however, it may well be the case that
things have improved since I last used a Highpoint controller, so what
I'm really most interested in is personal experiences (good or bad),
that might help sway my decision...
>=20
> Cheers.
>=20
> Paul G.
>=20
>=20
>
> ________________________________

controllers...

> > - I'll consider either IDE or SATA - but I'd prefer to make the
switch
> > to SATA now... (or SATA-2 for that matter)
> > - I'll consider either PCI or PCIe cards, - PCIe would require
> > purchasing a new motherboard as well to support it, but if that's
what
> > it takes, then so be it...
> > - I'd prefer cards that support at least 4 drives, more are fine,
but
> > don't wan't to use 2-port SATA cards really...
> > - Not too bothered about the price (shock!) - I'm prepared to pay
good
> > money if the features, quality & reliability justifies it, -
but
> > within limits... - above =A3200-=A3300 is probably getting into
silly
> > money territory for this excercise...
> > - RAID 5 support is a must.
> > - Controllers that allow for array expansion in the future would
be
> > preferred, - either by upgrading to larger drives, or by allowing
an
> > array to span across more than 1 card... (although an 8-port card
will
> > probably see me right for quite a while!)
> > - Hot spare support would be nice, but not essential, - if/when a
> > drive fails, I don't have a problem having to replace it
myself...

> > Also looking for recommendations for hot-pluggable SATA
caddies....

> > Note, - I've already searched around and found plenty of
controllers
> > that I could choose, - what I am after now is personal
experiences and
> > recommendations...
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Paul G.

> > Home improvement lead

provement+lead&w2=3DHome+improvement+electrical&w3=3DHome+improvement+finan=
cing&w4=3DHome+improvement+refinancing&w5=3DNo+equity+home+improvement+loan=
&w6=3DMaryland+home+improvement&c=3D6&s=3D194&.sig=3DAozx6MXsPXjMQ1Pl7rMI1g=

> >       Home improvement electrical

ome+improvement+lead&w2=3DHome+improvement+electrical&w3=3DHome+improvement=
+financing&w4=3DHome+improvement+refinancing&w5=3DNo+equity+home+improvemen=
t+loan&w6=3DMaryland+home+improvement&c=3D6&s=3D194&.sig=3D9tg9qpwlUff_Xgeu=
DxjStg>
> >       Home improvement financing

me+improvement+lead&w2=3DHome+improvement+electrical&w3=3DHome+improvement+=
financing&w4=3DHome+improvement+refinancing&w5=3DNo+equity+home+improvement=
+loan&w6=3DMaryland+home+improvement&c=3D6&s=3D194&.sig=3Dd0PYFxBWlK6yt5or7=
6kM3A>

> > Home improvement refinancing

Home+improvement+lead&w2=3DHome+improvement+electrical&w3=3DHome+improvemen=
t+financing&w4=3DHome+improvement+refinancing&w5=3DNo+equity+home+improveme=
nt+loan&w6=3DMaryland+home+improvement&c=3D6&s=3D194&.sig=3D0l7uMgLucLADri0=
S2z7czA>
> >       No equity home improvement loan

=3DHome+improvement+lead&w2=3DHome+improvement+electrical&w3=3DHome+improve=
ment+financing&w4=3DHome+improvement+refinancing&w5=3DNo+equity+home+improv=
ement+loan&w6=3DMaryland+home+improvement&c=3D6&s=3D194&.sig=3DYXjzIC6nHZRp=
2YcyefHUyw>
> >       Maryland home improvement

e+improvement+lead&w2=3DHome+improvement+electrical&w3=3DHome+improvement+f=
inancing&w4=3DHome+improvement+refinancing&w5=3DNo+equity+home+improvement+=
loan&w6=3DMaryland+home+improvement&c=3D6&s=3D194&.sig=3DsMK2B0ACjxOI2tDk-b=
Lz9A>