Re: RAID recommendations?

If it's a dedicated box for personal use as a server then consider linux
and sw raid.

You get excellent managment (mdadm or EVMS), great performance and you
can use commodity (none-accelerated) cards, mix IDE, SATA (and, god
forbid, even USB or remote drives in a push!). RAID 0,1,5,6,10 and many
other combinations.

You can run Samba to share with other systems and have excellent
web-based admin.

A big benefit over HW raid is that if the card dies in a couple (or 5)
years and is not made anymore then you're not toasted! (and this happens
more than you may expect!). You can also migrate over to larger drives
and/or faster controller cards. You can upgrade the motherboard
underneath to say an AMD64 with whatever super IO exists in a few years
and it will all just carry on working.

I run a 1.2Tb raid5 system with 6x250Gb SATA and a 250Gb PATA as a hot
spare (started life as a 4 disk PATA BTW). It runs on an old 1200Mhz
machine and provides plenty of performance for editing multi-Gb video
files whilst reading and writing multiple TV programmes.

Sure I couldn't run a cable head-end from it but!!!

If you want to know more then just ask.

David