Re: Re: 30" LCD Recomendations? Sky HDTV Compatible

Paul Gordon wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. - interesting reading there...
> From the same site it states that in fact, whilst the HDCP protection
> is not after all a part of the HDMI standard, all HDMI implentations
> currently on the market do feature it, so in effect it is a "de
facto"
> standard, - so I guess I was sort of right in my first point, and the
> important thing to take away as a consumer is that for all intents and
> purposes, HDMI = HDCP (and therefore = "HD Ready")

More accurate to say HDMI + HDCP = "HD Ready".

I think it's important to keep them separate, otherwise confusion will
reign when people see HDMI sockets on things like AV amps (which
presumably won't have HDCP)...

> To furtter bolster the "de facto" perception of these two
technologies
> being considered as one, many of the most important standards bodies
> (The DVD Copy Control Association, the US FCC, EICTA, to name a few) -
> the latter being the owner of the "HD Ready" logo, have
mandated that
> HD equipment must feature either HDMI-HDCP or DVI-HDCP. In other
> words, the interface choice is optional (between HDMI or DVI), but the
> copy protection is not, - it will always be HDCP.  - The only
> confusion arises of course because of the fact that DVI does predate
> HDCP, so it has been sold for quite a few years already without any
> notion of HDCP compliance, and of course, there will continue to be
> non HDCP-compliant DVI hardware for a while I would guess....

Absolutely. Plus there are still quite a few non-HDCP HDMI/DVI panels in
the shops still!

Jim