RE: Re: 30" LCD Recomendations? Sky HDTV Compatible

  • Subject: RE: Re: 30" LCD Recomendations? Sky HDTV Compatible
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:15:46 +0100

I may be wrong on any number of these points, and of course until it
actual=
ly arrives, some of the requirements may be subject to change, but based
on=
what I've read so far, this is my take on the whole thing...
=20
HDMI *is* HDCP compliant as part of the standard, so if a device has an
HDM=
I port, it will therefore, support HDCP proctected content...
=20
You can also get Hi Def over a DVI connection, *IF* the DVI connection is
a=
lso HDCP compliant. - HDCP is *not* part of the DVI standard (DVI predates
=
HDCP by a number of years), - however, HDCP has been "bolted on"
to the DVI=
ports on some devices/by some manufacturers in order to be HD ready on the=
ir existing kit...
=20
I've also heard that since Sky are aware that virtually none of their
exist=
ing customer base has either of the above, then virtually no-one would be
a=
ble to receive their HD broadcasts on their existing kit, and therefore
are=
rumoured to be considering allowing HD out via a component connection on t=
heir new HD box due out next year. Whether this turns out to be true or
not=
is anyone's guess, - but Whatever else you may consider them, the Sky bods=
are a canny lot, and will certainly be aware that the best way to make mon=
ey out of their HD service is *NOT* to force the customers to have to go
ou=
t & purchase all new AV gear at great expense before they can view
it... - =
Also, they will not want to damage the perception of the HD service by
limi=
ting most subscribers to a "downsampled" standard-def picture
instead of th=
e full HD experience...
=20
Just my =A30.02...