Re: [OT] wireless network sniffers

  • Subject: Re: [OT] wireless network sniffers
  • From: Russ Spooner <spooner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:53:08 +0100

If you are getting a signal strength that is of that level, it is more than
likely someone else=B9s laptop you are trying to connect to. The icon could
well be indicating that it is trying to connect in =B3ad-hoc=B2 mode
rather=
than
=B3infrastructure=B2. I.e. Trying to establish a peer-to-peer wireless
netw=
ork.

http://www.netstumbler.org will
provide you with a decent piece of software
that can give you more information.

The probability of someone having the sort of kit to flood that kind of
area/range with enough SNR to give you an 11Mbs signal is unlikely, even
rarer would be the possibility that if someone did have that kind of kit
that it be unencrypted!

>From what you have said it is not encrypted as you have received a DHCP
lease (unless the IP address you have is in the 169 range, which means that
your DHCP client timed out waiting for a lease, which would mean that it
probably *is* encrypted).

What fens are your near? If you are in the cambs area it could be a remnant
of the failed wireless broadband companies that were about a couple of
year=
ago.

Russ Spooner
Www.swcltd.com

On 6/9/05 5:10 pm, "Benfield, John (Penta)"
<john.benfield-eds@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> >Probably somebody's long distance connection. Are there two
buildings
> in line of site either side of where you are?
>=20
> As I said, I'm quite literally in the middle of fields/fens. Nearest
> buildings are 1km to the south, 1.5km to the East and 4 to 5km to the
> West and North, so unlikly to be in line of sight on anything.
>=20
>> >The owner might not want you poking around of course (hence it
being
> closed)...
>=20
> Hence why I probably want to poke around ;-)
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20