Re: Weather Station Advice

  • Subject: Re: Weather Station Advice
  • From: "David Chapman" <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:11:39 +0100

> WMR968 (US) 211$ + 66$postage + tax =~ £185

I bought the 968 from the States almost 5 years ago and it works a treat.
No
atomic clock is no problem as the software on the PC sorts that and it only
drifts a few seconds each month anyway. Tried loads of software over the
years but settled on the excellent FreeWX, not only the cheapest but the
best features and very stable. You need a serial port on the PC but it does
work with USB-Serial converters. I'm running the serial over about 20
metres
of Cat 5.

The transmitter units are about 30 metres from the receiver on the top of
my
shed. They didn't work reliably just on solar so I put batteries in then
(must check as it's a couple of years). They transmit on 433Mhz which I
don't think is licenced in the UK but the range is such they won't reach
outside my garden so that doesn't worry me.

All in all it's been a good bit of kit that even has SWMBO approval !

Hope that helps,

David C