Re: BBC iMP

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:41 +0100, Andy Davies wrote:

> I'd like to be able to burn the content to DVD so I can play it on a
> proper TV

I suspect that, given a few months, there will be little applications
knocking around on the web to do exactly that. One thing that time has
shown is that technology overtakes cryptography, and the law lags behind
both :-)

> I'm also seriously unimpressed that I can't save content I've already
> paid for, for longer than 7 days

For the case of the material that the BBC has bought it, I can see the
point - restricting it so that the BBC can still afford the licence fee
for a "one off broadcast + limited timeshifting" rather than
"unlimited
use" makes sense.

For the case of the material that the BBC has developed itself or
commissioned directly, I think there's a really strong argument to say
that this should NOT be time-limited, since the licence feepayers have
already paid for it, up front.

Regards,

Mark