Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Extending USB over Cat5

Re: Sonic Impact T-Amp

> Anyone know whether these will drive a 400ohm load (i.e. can they be
used
> as a decent quality headphone amplifier) or do they barf at loads
other
> than typical loudspeaker impedances?
>
> Anyone still got one of these that they might be encouraged to part
with?

> I know there's plenty on ebay - £20 each and another £10 delivery -
but I
> thought I'd try here first given that this is the natural home of the
"buy
> in haste, repent at leisure" philosophy. ;-)
>
> Phil

OH POO!!!

>From http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

"One can use the t-Amp as headphone amp, with caution: first of all,
there's no output jack so one has to adapt the speakers posts to a female
jack. Secondly, frequency response rises at the highs as the load
increases. Tripath claims the output filter should be designed to make the
amp linear till 16 ohms. Hence, I'd suggest using extremely low impedance
headphones or ask a techinician to modify the output filter settings.
Finally, the T-Amp uses distinct L-R grounds, while headphone normally
connect these together. This can destroy the T-Amp."

BAH!