Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

RE: {Disarmed} RE: Dimming halogens bad for lamp life? Building Regs

  • Subject: RE: {Disarmed} RE: Dimming halogens bad for lamp life? Building Regs
  • From: "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:39:04 +0100

The warping does seem to be a problem - we have sent back 400 for crediting
due to warping. I've heard a range of arguements as to why they warp -
including dirt in the process to the wrong type of Mazac ? - which they add
to the pure aluminium (to make it cheaper i believe), and different size
mounting posts for the spring retaining clips.

I was a strong advocate of the cast aluminium, one for asthetics, two for
quality, three for the lack of a retaining clip as mentioned.

When we first started using the lock ring/aluminium fittings we took a
discission to pay a premium over the press steel variety because of the
reasons above.... How wrong i was :(

We have now started to see warping, though minor, on mains halogen cast
fittings installed 5 years ago. On the less obviously warped ones, no one
notices until they try to change the lamp and find they cant undo the inner
lock ring as it now binds against the warped outer and lamp removal is
impossible.

Going against my original choice we are now back to 'cheaper' pressed steel
fittings with spring clip retaining rings. These have the twist and lock
GU/GZ lamp holder unsuspended which means when you remove the lock ring the
lamp and holder drop out which makes changing lamps MUCH easier !!

Also if you are struggling removing the GU lamps, there are a number of
products available that come with a sucker on them that allows you to stick
it to the lamp and then turn :)

Have a look at both the JCC and Click Scolmore websites, they both do a
good
range of steel fittings that have enclosed backs which are good for
fibreglassed voids - there are links to these through one of my suppliers -
http://www.midshires-electrical.co.uk

Regards

Dean.

_____