Latest message you have seen: RE: Seeking longer IDE cable

OT Excel(??) macro/auditing help

  • Subject: OT Excel(??) macro/auditing help
  • From: "Stuart Whyte" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:36:09 +0100

Morning,

I've come to a brick wall on this, so I'm open to ANY suggestions at
present.  The scenario is I need to find out all software that is
installed on the workstations  on our desktops (circa 150 machines).  I
have use Aida32 and a logon script to create an audit list and I now
have a spreadsheet with a list of software installs and the amount.
Great so far.

The problem is due to the way Aida audits (it sees different build
numbers as different products) I have entries like:

Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 (11.0.5614.0)     7
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 (11.0.6361.0)     46
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 (11.0.7969.0)     8

and that's one of the easiest one!! Now clearly I don't care what build
number is on a machine (no for this exercise anyway) I just need to know
I have (7+46+8)=61 copies.

So ideally I need a way of telling excel or access (or any other
suggestions - the file is CSV) to look through the 1400 lines, and group
"Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 " as one entry, then
count the
numbers in column B.

Like I say, I'm open to any option, so if anyone can think of anything
else, please speak :-)

Cheers

Stuart