Latest message you have seen: R80 CFL's?

Distributed File System

Hi All,

Is anybody here using Microsoft's Distributed File System?

With all the talk of storage recently together with my growing needs for
more space for dvds / music / videos / etc, it occured to me that a
somewhat
cheaper option could be to make use of spare capacity across the various
machines around my network, especially as most of them stay on 24/7 anyway.

Obviously this is easy enough to do by simple shares (machine1\videos,
machine2\videos, etc) but managing and locating files is then a bit of a
chore, especially with clients like XBMC.

What would be great I thought would be a way to simply refer to the
"storage
space" as "my_huge_space\videos" (for example), with content
being
seamlessly available from whatever machine it is located on.

After doing a bit of research, it seems that Microsoft's DFS offers exactly
this, with extra bells and whistles such as caching, replication and
fail-over.

So if anybody is using this, or has used it previously, can you give any
thoughts / comments on performance and reliability?

Cheers,

Martyn