RE: x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?

One other thing to factor into the equation is what happens when a piece of
"embedded hardware" ie. non-PC, actually does go wrong.  While
less likely
than a PC because usually less heat, fewer moving bits etc it does happen.
Lightning is often a culprit.  It is more difficult to fix and if the
company who supplied it is no-longer in business, impossible to replace.

Shane

Will
> Windows barf with an auto update of somekind ? Will it get an IP
address
> ok ? Lots of things. Even power consumption.
>
> If I'm away and there's a problem, can I fix it remotely ? Could the
wife
> ? Prob not.
>
> PC's are so much more flexible - but that's at a cost. So for me,
> I prefer
> solid state wherever possible for house automation.
>
> G.
>
>  Gareth Cook
>  Tools and Process Architect
>  IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
>  Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
>  AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
>  email: g@xxxxxxx
>

> ----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 08/10/2005 18:21 -----
>
> Discussion
> Main Topic
>
> ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Today 16:57
>
> .
> Subject:
> .
> Re: Fw: [ukha_d] x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?
> .
> Category:
>

> On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 16:29 +0100, Gareth Cook wrote:
> > I dont want any PC shinnanigans controlling anything.
>
> Out of interest, why not?
>
> It's interesting getting the sales feedback from the call centre these
> days. About half of our customers don't want to leave a PC running
24/7,
> and the other half have no problem whatsoever, and don't understand
why
> the other half do :-)
>
> I leave the servers running 24/365, and can't remember the last time
any
> of them crashed [1]. The desktop / laptops are a different proposition
> mind - less stable - but I do tend to muck around with the configs on
> those an awful lot, and accept loss of stability as the trade off for
> "testbed."
>
> [1] I run 3 servers -
>
> 1: the "live" server - Windows: music server (Rios),
fileserver (all