Re: [OT] Domain POP

On 07/10/2005 at 18:57 David Greaves wrote:

>Jim Noble wrote:
>

>> fetchmail & sendmail/qmail/postfix?
>>
>> Jim
>
>here's a sample fetchmail config file to give you an idea - just read
it
>out loud:
>
>set daemon 180 # ie check every 180 secs
>
>poll pop3.demon.co.uk with proto POP3
>    user 'beagles-den' there with password 'xxxxxxx' is
>ukha@xxxxxxx here options fetchall
>    antispam 571 550 501 554
>
>Not hard really :)
>
>And, FWIW, I setup a local IMAP server with a web interface so I can
>read my mail from any PC on my network or indeed whilst out on the web.
>
>Linux rocks!
>
>David

Thanks for the replies guys, fetchmail looks exactly like what I want,
particularly as it directly supports Demon's SDPS pop 3 collection (from a
faq I found for the sake of the ukha archive :) )

"The SDPS extension

There's a different way to do multidrop. It's not necessary on Demon
Internet, since fetchmail can parse Received addresses, but the person who
implemented this didn't know that. It may be useful if Demon Internet ever
changes mail transports.

SDPS includes a non-standard extension for retrieving the envelope of a
message (*ENV), which fetchmail optionally supports if compiled with the
--enable-SDPS option. If you have it, the first line of the fetchmail -V
response will include the string "+SDPS".

Once you have SDPS compiled in, fetchmail in POP3 mode will automatically
detect when it's talking to a Demon Internet host in multidrop mode, and
use the *ENV extension to get an envelope To address.

The autodetection works by looking at the hostname in the POP3 greeting
line; if you're accessing Demon Internet through a proxy it may fail. To
force SDPS mode, pick "sdps" as your protocol."

Thanks again for the pointers...

Andy