Fw: x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?

  • Subject: Fw: x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 09:37:04 +0100

Or use couplers to run standard momentary switches that you would use
for=20
X10 on CBUS.

You can run 4 switches from one CBUS Coupler.....then you can always=20
"upgrade" the switch when you fancy.

G.

Gareth Cook
Tools and Process Architect
IBM SWG Sales - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
email: g@xxxxxxx

=20
----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 08/10/2005 09:36 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Yesterday 22:46

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?
.
Category:

Hi guys

I know the x10/cbus debate, i can see CBUS is a better product but a lot=20
more expensive. (as an example the 8chan dim units are around =A3400,=20
8xLD11's are about =A3200, the cost of getting the CBUS switches adds up=20
where as the LD11's just need normal/momentary switches)

I already have quite a few x10 bits (LD11's mostly) and have been=20
looking at making the system a bit more flexiable. What i've thought=20
about doing is pulling out the T&E and cabling CAT5 to the light
wall=20
switches (so i can use normal/momentary switches as well as LED's/IR=20
transmitters/receivers/whatever)  - these then get wired back to a=20
preprogrammed VIOM so the inputs control the outputs, these in turn are=20
wired so a relay (5v to 240V, already have about 10) to control the=20
switch input on the LD11

so what i get is similiar control of the LD11 as if hardwired ( as in if=20
i was using a x10 tansmitter module, there would be slight delays in the=20
lights), i still get control via x10 (via comfort in my case, of course=20
it could always also talk to the VIOM to toggle the outputs which is=20
potentially more reliable that x10), i get alot more flexablilty at my=20
wall switches and should be a whole lot cheaper (though not all the=20
advantages) of a new CBUS system.

thoughts?

Adrian

=20