RE: Hi-Def Was:LCD TV

  • Subject: RE: Hi-Def Was:LCD TV
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 21:13:10 +0100

> Who knows what HD is - mebe Sky will decide when they launch HD - if
they
> call it HD, then it will become HD - wether they dot the i's or dot
the
> p's :-) Surely they will only do 720p because of bandwidth ? They may
say
> thats enough for them to be able to say it's HD.

The meaning of "High Definition" is a relative term which will
progress as
technology improves.

I refer to the following....

" 2nd November 1936
Official opening of first regular high-definition television service from
BBC studios at Alexandra Palace, London. Alternating on a weekly basis
between Baird's 240-line intermediate film system and Marconi-EMI's
405-line
system all-electronic system. The 220 ft high mast in top of an 80-ft high
east tower of the building, is over 600 ft above sea level to maximise
radiation. Picture information is transmitted on an ultra-short wave
frequency of 6.67m, sound on 7.23m. Two blocks of programmes are broadcast
daily, Monday to Saturday, at 15:00-16:00 and 21:00-22:00."

" 21 April 1964
'Opening' of BBC2 television on 625-line standard. The announcer holds a
candle to symbolise the power cut which prevented the opening the previous
evening. First programme, Play School, was actually transmitted earlier, at
11.00 in the morning."

Which would then have claimed the "Hi Def" crown in Britain.
Having said
that, the French had 819 lines in the 1950's

Some info on HiDef here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV

> Mebe in 3 years time, we will get Sky1080 for even more money !

One thing is for certain with Mr. Murdock, it certainly wont be for less or
even the same!

Regards

Keith