RE: Grrr.... XBOX!

> > They have a MCE2005 PC, so I would like them to be able
> > to stream MP3's & Photos off it
>
> Easiy done, XBMC will stream photos and tunes from a share on their
MCE
> box.
>
> There are issues with streaming MCE recordings to an xbox though. As
far
> as
> I know you need to buy the proper MS Media Extender software for that.

Well that's no problem, since they don't actually use it for TV at all,
- in fact although it has an analogue TV card in it, it's not even
connected to an aerial. - Like me, it's principally for stored media
like MP3, Photos, etc...

> > I guess it would also be a good idea to upgrade the HDD
> > to a bigger one
>
> Only real need for bigger drive in an xbox is to store games.
>
> M.

Well they also happen to have a large-ish collection of stuff on VHS, -
much of which is either home-shot footage or not available on DVD. I'm
trying to convince them to ditch their VHS player, but this archive of
stuff needs to be digitised to enable that to happen. I was rather
thinking that I would drop it all onto either the MCE PC, or onto the
XBOX itself...

Also, there are my 2 nephews, ages 4 and 2 to consider... this XBOX has
been bought principally for their use, to (hopefully) stop them playing
so much on the MCE PC. - They have a large number of kids videos, again
on VHS, that would also be ideally placed on the XBOX. The kids
constantly want to play these tapes, so just losing access to them isn't
an option - another reason the VHS VCR can't be ditched yet... If all
the kids videos could be copied onto the HDD and available from a
MCE-like menu, they'd all be chuffed to bits!

2ndly, 2 & 4 year olds, and DVD disks & trays aren't a particularly
compatible combination, so if it were also possible to copy the games
onto the HDD so the original could be stored away safely, that would be
great too...

Paul G.