RE: Win MCE Rollup2

  • Subject: RE: Win MCE Rollup2
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 04:58:30 +0100

> Don't give up just yet.
>
> Something I worked out early on was that Windows MCE just
> can't cope with running longer than a couple of days.
> Therefore I run a scheduled job each night at 5am which
> reboots the PC and loads MCE afresh.
>
> In my MCE install that I've just decommissioned (ran for 6
> months) it's failed no more than once a month - I've just set
> up a new MCE PC, so we'll see if the new one is any more stable!!
>
> Just don't expect it to last if you don't reset the machine regularly.

I *WOULD* have agreed with you before applying Rollup2 as mine used to lock
up pretty frequently but since applying Rollup2 it hasn't locked up once
and
I haven't even bothered adding a reboot to my scheduled 3am defragment of
the recorded items. (Thanks to whoever it was pointed me to
http://www.sysinternals.com/
and the two defragging programs there - I just
run it on the recorded items directory each morning at 3am and normally it
takes no more than a few seconds but since doing this I've had no more
choppy playback problems either.)

Phil