Re: xPl - What ? How ?

Hi Tom - there's actually a seperate Yahoo group for discussing xPL:

send an email to : ukha_xpl-subscribe@xxxxxxx To join up to
it :)

There are plenty of folks that can answer your questions over there.

Ian.

Ps> answering your questions:

> (a)What would I need on this linux server to start controlling these
> devices?

at the moment, a JRE Java runtime - one of the developers has
produced some rather cool little tools which run on any Java
supporting system.

Natively on Linux, misterhouse can control xPL enabled apps.

>(b)Can I write my own programs to interface with all my other apps?

yes, there are development tools available for all of the major OSes
now - it depends on your preferred environment, and we have
developers who will help you get started too.

> (c)Is it possible to monitor and control three different machines
> all networked, and each with different devices?

absolutely - but that's more in depth, and where the conversation
should probably move to the xpl support group.

> I read as much as I could on the website, but I'm still not very
> sure on how it works and would I need to set it up?

be aware that we are migrating away form the existing website to a
Wiki (which is more up to date):

http://wiki.xplproject.org.uk

Ian.