Latest message you have seen: RE: Strong stick no-residue tape

RE: Media Server Drive bays

  • Subject: RE: Media Server Drive bays
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:23:51 -0000

Hi Paul,

> Starting to assemble the hardware for my new 2TB media server..

Cant help with your question but your posting just made me think back to
when I started at Martlesham in December 1996. Back then BT were running a
VideoOnDemand trial and I have just found this page about it

http://www.aptn.org/BT%20Martlesham.htm

This is the bit that makes you realise just how quickly technology is
changing

"From BT's viewpoint, the system's biggest test would hinge on how
happy the
customers would be with the quality of the image they received from the
trial's 2,500 hours of movie material amounting to some 3.3 terabytes of
data - and all from what turned out to be the world's largest video
server."

Just nine years ago the largest video server in the WORLD was 3.3Tb and now
some people have that amount of storage in their houses!

I wonder what the physical size of a 3.3Tb server was back in 1996 ?
I bet is was somewhat larger than a PC case!!!!!

As an aside to this, I was playing with IR codes last night and the digibox
landed on a shopping channel selling a PC. Decided to listen to what they
were saying for a couple of minutes and had to smile. Aparantly this
machine
came with a "massive 80Gb hard drive" which they said held the
equivelent of
400 filing cabinets worth of information.

The presented said "you will never fill that", of course not
thinks me,
provided the 80Gb was all plain text documents that you had to type
yourself, but just see if anyone on UKHA_D can make it last more than a few
hours before being full :-)

Having taken my first steps into video editing last week I have decided I
did something SERIOUSLY wrong. Copied a video on to the PC using my PVR250
card and got 1.2Gb file which was three cartoons and some trailers. Edited
out a ten minute section and tried to save it as DiVx but obviously had
something not set right. What was originally 300Mb of MPEG2 would have
ended
up as a 15Gb file :-(

Regards

Keith