Latest message you have seen: Re: Kaleidescape system - questions?

Re: Re: Dell £99 server offer

Yahoo Subscriber wrote:

>But bear in mind these are always bottom spec machines, with the
slowest
>CPUs from the range and limited expansion potential (e.g memory, drive
>bays etc.). And that by the time you add VAT and delivery it comes to
>£170 plus.
>So if it doesn't exactly meet your needs, or you want a machine for
>desktop use, you'll probably find a better deal elsewhere.

Saying that, my current 'servers' are lowly P3 800's with only about 256
meg of ram and 10/20gig hd's - ones a wee web/email server and the
others running my phone system. Physical size is the thing at the mo,
although these boxes are running as servers they are realy just small
workstations. (I even had a p3 shuttle at one point.)

For what they get used for, CPU power is not realy a problem. I cant say
that I need the raw processing power of dual xeons with umpteen hard
drives and ooogles of ram - plus the little cupboard with these things
in gets warm enough without the heat off these new fangled power houses.
:))

Workstation on the other hand, - well lets just say that these so called
cold nights are not so cold if I leave this thing running a 3d screen
saver :)

Cheers!
Wayne.