Latest message you have seen: RE: Strong stick no-residue tape

Party automation

  • Subject: Party automation
  • From: "Patrick" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:07:28 -0000

What with christmas coming up and all, I thought it might be fun to
look at building an automatic cocktail maker. I've always rather
fancied one ever since being inspired by our UKHA mini-meet visit to
meet Cynthia with Kieran (
http://www.blitzsecurity.co.uk/Cyberbar1.htm
).

Not much originality in this, granted, but for my version I think I'm
pretty much set on using either gravity feed + electrically controlled
valves, or a set of small electric pumps, one per ingredient. I've
ruled out cam-driven optics as beyond the capabilities of my workshop
and e-bay doesn't have any industrial robots for sale at the moment
:-). This is the kind of thing I hope to end up with (although mine
will hopefully look better!):

http://www.misterretro.com/lazy_drinker.html

Where I'm hoping for HA'ers help is in locating/identifying suitable
pumps or valves. I've looked at vending machine spare parts - these
are surprisingly expensive. Washing machine pumps are generally mains
powered (I'd prefer to keep things at SELV voltages if I can), and in
anycase the pump capacity itself is generally more than a single
shot.) Car windscreen washer pumps look promising, but are a bit on
the expensive side when you scale up to 16 or 32 ingredients. I
haven't had any success at all in my search for low pressure control
valves at a sensible cost - my target price is around a fiver per
ingredient controller. The only other criteria in sourcing these
components is being able to get them in volume - one off's from the
local tip or breakers yards isn't going to work. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Patrick