Latest message you have seen: Re: Strong stick no-residue tape

Re: C-bus Channel won't turn off...

Robert Kearns wrote:

> Would LV halogens be less likely to cause damage to the channel as the
> transformer has some sort of short circuit protection? Does the
protection
> cut off all current on the channel or does it just protect the
internal
> circuits of the transformer?

Yes, there is less voltage in the globe to cause it to arc over, and the
transformer has loose coupling between the windings that limits the max
current
that can flow. This limits the secondary current to about 25A on the
wirewound
ones I have looked at. There will be a corresponding increse on the primary
current, but thats not going to be in the range that will cause problems
for
your dimmer for the short length of time that there may be an arc in the
bulb.

Mains halogens are a nasty hack for people that want the apperance of low
voltage lights, and are prepaired to sacrifice the small filiment size and
higher colour temperature that are the benifits of LV halogen.