RE: Re: Splicing SVHS cables

  • Subject: RE: Re: Splicing SVHS cables
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:20:43 -0000

Hi Mark

> Thanks again Keith and for all the help so far
>
> However, I think you misunderstand.
>
> I cut a brand new cable in order to splice this onto my exisiting
> cable.....no joy
> I then attempted to re-attach this cable back together to test the
> cable ....but it didn't work, no picture, no nothing, which made me
> think I was doing something wrong.
>
> All i want is a picture :o(

Ah!

Joining the "recently hacked cable" should DEFINATELY have
worked.

The fact that you still got nothing means that on of the following applies

1. the source is not outputing the S-Video signal you think it ought to be

2. the display is not receiving the S-video signal you think it ought to be

3. your "repair" of the cable is dodgy.

4. the two items of equipment "dont like each other" (not as
silly as it
sounds, some equipment has input terminations that other equipment refuses
to work with but this can be overcome quite easily.)

As you dont have a multimeter available for testing here is what I would
do.

1. Get a DVD player with S-Video output and connect it using a short, known
good lead, directly to the display to verify that the display is working OK
and is set to the correct input.

2. If that is OK then move the display device directly to the amp and again
using the known good lead check that you get a picture.

If that doesnt work, try the source device DIRECTLY connected to the
display
NOT via the amp.

If it is easier to discuss this on the phone then email me directly keith
at
diyha dot co dot uk and I will let you have my phone number.

Regards

Keith