Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen
  • From: ian.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:23:53 -0500

Hi Paul

OK, one at a time:
I'm quite happy to write my own C application, but soldering is not my
thing. With that in
mind, what would be involved in building something like this? Would I be
right in thinking
the PIC would be on a separate board (that you won't supply), and the
board you're talking
about producing would connect to the PIC board? Would this be a
plug-socket connection or
a soldered connection? Would I have to build the board for the PIC from
scratch?

Yes, a board for the PIC or your chosen processor would need building. The
connections I am planning for the daughter board would be .1" jumper
style
connection, a push on connector would work for the connection to any other
board. I don't use PIC's so wouldn't be able to help with circuit design.
If you went with Atmel processors and CodeVision C compiler this may be
different. If it turns out some board design and creation needs doing I
can help with the creation bit. Others more familiar with the PIC may be
able to help with the design. Atmel I can help with start to finish.

I've been thinking for a while I could do with several of these. Is this a
difficult
project for somebody who knows little about electronics but has a
programming background?

With help this would be a very interesting project and possibly very
useful if it was simply an interface between something like a PC. Once the
hardware is sorted the programming becomes a relatively (beware) simple
exercise. Don't forget that if simply using a board and a PC you may not
have any access to debugging tools other than the serial port or the
screen. I cannot speak for the PIC world again.

Can you recommend anywhere for buying the bits I'd need?

Better decide on your approach first. Atmel stuff I can help with, PIC I
have no idea.

What PIC/compiler and other bits will you be using? (just so I can see an
example of what
things I would need). Can you recommend a compiler? (linux or windows) Or
does that depend
on the particular PIC?

I use CodeVision with Atmel processors. There is a sample version but I
don't think it does the Mega range of Atmel chips which is what you would
need to use.
CodeVision is at http://www.hpinfotech.ro/ and you
would need the full
version to do this work. Last time I looked it was about 150 euro.
Atmel is at www.atmel.com and search for ATMEGA. I use the ATMega64 and
128 as they have dual serial ports and plenty of I/O.
All my stuff is Windows based as far as I know.

Are any of the PIC books worth buying, or would I be better off just
jumping in?

I just jumped in on the Atmel front.

Ian Lowe may be able to offer some advice on the PIC front.

Ask away again

Thanks

Ian

"Paul Robinson" <ukcueman@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
07/11/2005 17:47
Please respond to ukha_d

I have lots of questions, and since you *did* offer to answer some... :-)

[...]

I have a lot of reading to do...

Thanks,
Paul