Re: [OT}: how to make PVR any ideas welcome

Gary wrote:

> but I cannot find any way of getting the video signal out to a normal
> television by a scart or coax socket.

The usual way is the use a graphics card with a TV output (typically
S-video or composite) socket.  S-video to scart is a small matter of
cabling.

Alternatively, you could use an external VGA-video converter, although
they're expensive and the quality's no better (though no faffing about
with drivers, and they usually have VGA passthrough though).

More optimally, if you've got a particularly shiny (LCD/plasma)
television, it might have VGA or DVI inputs.

FWIW, I'm currently using MythTV on my main TV with an S-video
connection from a geforce MX4000[1] card.  The quality is pretty decent,
though admittedly the telly is getting on a bit.

I've recently discovered this:  http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html
though have yet to make up a suitable cable.  If it works, that would
probably be the best way to get a computer to display on a normal
television.

The mythtv-users list is full of knowledgeable people on this subject.

Kim.

[1] Nvidia cards are generally accepted to be less of a headache under
linux than ATI.  I've certainly never had a problem installing the driver.