Latest message you have seen: X10 to Cbus control ?

Email Appliance - Simple Email for the non 'computer literate'

  • Subject: Email Appliance - Simple Email for the non 'computer literate'
  • From: "Ward, David" <DAvid.Ward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:21:36 +0100

Does anyone know if there is a simple Linux Distro, or Windows Application
that I could install on an elderly (486 or 386) laptop to enable a computer
illiterate relative to use email ?

Ideally something that hides the 'normal' UI in a similar fashion to a
Media
Centre interface would be employed.

An Ethernet connection is available as is a Win2K PC, but a separate
standalone little box I think would be less scary,  and I don't think that
TV based system like the Netgem Freeview box would get used either.

I've looked at the Amstrad Emailer, but since it uses proprietary telephone
numbers it would cost more to run (It's a shame that no one seems to have
managed to get the real GPL'd code from Amstrad yet, and that reverse
engineering is pretty static at the mo.)

I've searched using Google and looked at Distrowatch, but I must be using
all the wrong keywords :S

Thanks in advance

Dave