Re: [OT] Useful laptop programs - Wireless

Sunday, May 8, 2005, 4:20:55 PM, Ho yin Ng wrote:

HyN> I use it at home on my wireless connection, at my girlfriends on
wireless
HyN> and at work.

HyN> Every single place has a different router address and I must have a
HyN> different IP address because of this.

HyN> Is there a program that can recognise the wireless network name and
then
HyN> apply the relevant network settings for that area? OR must I change
my
HyN> network settings every time I go somewhere different?

Assuming that you're using windows XP, if you leave the TCP/IP
settings for your wireless card to "Obtain an IP address
automatically" and it should work transparently, assuming that the
networks have a DHCP server. That won't be a problem for public
networks, and these days most routers have a DHCP server, so it
shouldn't be difficult to use one on your home networks.

HyN> Plus do you guys have any software/hardware you run specifically on
your
HyN> laptop that you cannot be without? I am especially looking for some
software
HyN> that can synchronise my files between home - laptop - work
including emails
HyN> in outlook.

I use Vice-versa, as recommended by someone on this list. It's very
configureable, and can be set up to synchronise files at specific
times, at Windows start-up etc.

Bill