RE: 19" rack size ?

  • Subject: RE: 19" rack size ?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 07:55:04 +0100

Hi Marc,

Firstly, "what they said" (i.e. Keith & Jim) :-)
Secondly, do you need to have a door on the rack? Is it noisy?
Thirdly, I think you'll be better off making a replacement, or having
one made and using the current one as a template. If you found a steel
door you could convert it to glazed by cutting a big hole in the front,
however finding one of the right width to fit between the hinges and the
lock point.

If you've got access to welding gear you can make a rectangular frame
from right-angle steel and then sit Perspex in the middle. That's let
you make it exactly the size you need and still fit the existing hinges
:-)

If you don't fancy making (or having made) an exact duplicate of the
door you have, you could probably make a lift-off door fairly simply
with a flat sheet of Perspex. Fit a couple of hook-type brackets and the
bottom and relocate the cam lock to the top, cutting a new slot for the
cam if needed.

In the meantime, if you're really worried about your current door
falling apart, I'd stick gaffer tape over the crack on both sides of the
door.

HTH, mail me back if I've not explained anything particularly well.

Cheers,

Tim.