Re: [OT] My mini experience

Don McAllister wrote:

> But the difference here is that with mac OS X you don't really need
> to stop the application in most instances - the OS is good enough at
> memory management to just park the app if you're not using it and
> uses the red button to do this. This means that if you restart the
> app it reappears really quickly as it was never fully closed down.

I think the important difference here is that Mac OS X [in most cases]
separates closing the last application window and quitting the
application. Something that's always annoyed me about Windows (probably
because I was raised on RISC OS...)

> I'm happy (more than happy) with most things mac except I'm still
> undecided about the finder. I still find the Windows explorer easier
> to use but I'm persevering. I've picked up a 3rd party app called
> Path Finder (http://www.cocoatech.com/) <http://www.cocoatech.com/%29>
> which offers a more explorer
> like interface for mac os x but I haven't really put it through its
> paces yet.

Finder (& the Dock) bare an uncanny resemblence to the RISC OS desktop
(for anyone that remembers it...), so I've always been more or less at
home with Finder. Funny to think how far ahead of the field Acorn were
with their UI, 10 or so years ago...

Jim