RE: [OT] Bluetooth in car

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Bluetooth in car
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 20:08:03 +0100

> > I see that as a plus - that it doesn't charge the phone! If
> I had to
> > dock my phone into the car kit then it would be on charge
> for about 5
> > hours a day which means that the battery on it would never get
> > properly excercised and I'm still absolutely convinced that
> > continually topping up even modern rechargeable cells (L-ION
etc.)
> > without ever letting them get discharged knackers them up!
>
> On that note, my last 6310i sat in the cradle for at least
> 1.5 hours a day, and sometimes up to 7 hours a day for 2
> years.  The last time I went on holiday with it, it easily
> lasted the 10 day holiday in just the same way it did 2 years
> previously.  I was dubious before that too.

Hmmm ... I'd love to see some proper electrical/chemical/physical info
(that
I can follow) on this but I've just discovered the demise of the second
battery in my Toshiba PDA. The first battery lasted at most about six
months
being recharged every day (replaced under warranty). The second battery was
recharged about ten times before the PDA was pressed into service as an MP3
player doing music on hold for someone and spent about a year sitting on
its
charging base and now lasts about - hmmm - ten minutes before dying
completely.

Similarly my Compaq Armada (now about 4 years old and used by SWMBO) has
pretty much been used plugged in permanently plugged in and is on its third
battery (now about two years old) however that battery is kept tucked away
in a drawer and the laptop is run without battery on the whole. I dig the
battery out every few months, charge it up, run it down and then charge it
up again before putting it away in the drawer again and it still runs the
lappy for about 3.5 hours (which is about what it did when it was new).

Having said that, my Sony VAIO (which lasted about two hours on its battery
when new) still lasts about two hours on its battery. It's getting on for a
year old and is run almost exclusively on mains power but I do cycle the
battery occasionally.

I guess I'm just very doubtfull of the durability of current (excuse the
pun) battery technologies...

Phil