Latest message you have seen: Re: Modular alarm recommendations

Re: APC UPS Network low battery network broadcast

  • Subject: Re: APC UPS Network low battery network broadcast
  • From: "Andy Whitfield" <andywhitfield2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:44:24 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "alanmiddleton74" <yahoo@a...>
wrote:

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Jim Noble <yahoo-groups@b...> wrote:
> > alanmiddleton74 wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of software that will 'pretend' to be an
APC
UPS and
> > > broadcast a low battery warning over the network.
> > > I can find plenty of software that will respond; parachute
etc
but
> > > can't seem to locate anything that will send out the
broadcast.
> > > Shame seems like a well supported way to remotely shutdown
network
> > > devices as opposed to just computers. Don't want to go the
x10 'pull
> > > the plug' route as I'd like to get an orderly shutdown.
> >

> > Buy the cheapest UPS you can, and pull the plug on it with X10?
> >
> > Jim
>
> Sadly cheap and an apc ups that features this facility don't seem to
> go hand in hand. From what I understand the 'message' is propriorty
> and needs to be network broadcast as opposed to off the cheaper
serial
> lead option. Hmm maybe I can find one on ebay with dead batteries
> since I'm not intested in the ups part just the ability to broadcast
> the message.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts.
>
> Alan.

I deal solely in UPSs (and have sold a few to UKHA'ers).
I've got plenty of small 'cheap' APC UPSs.  Though you'll probably
have to collect from me due to my workload (unless you want to buy
several units in which case I could ship).
I think you need a network card to do what you want to do.
I've got AP9605 PowerNet 10Base-T SNMP card and AP9606 10Base-T
Web/SNMP management card.  Maybe one of those will do what you want?
Regards
Andy Whitfield (UPSMan)