RE: Linux and firewire drives...

  • Subject: RE: Linux and firewire drives...
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:06:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Ian wrote:

> Of course, how would this have played out if Phil didn't have some
"TLB's"
> (love that, btw :) ) to call on?

Then he might have a problem with the RAID5 implementation, although he
has already set up the functioning server on an IDE drive.

> We will see over time, I guess - this can be the UKHA long term media
server
> field trial :D

I believe it is indeed going to be Phil's media server. He has already got
slimserver and HomeVision server running on Linux. The software RAID5 with
automatic recovery to a spare RAID5 drive on hot standby should offer some
protection against a single drive failure in his 1TB+ firewire array.

> If, on the other hand, you don't have that support network to fall
back on?
> Well, in that case, Linux is either a labour of love that will consume
> hours, days and weeks of your life, or something best left alone.

Yes, I agree that resolving some Linux problems could be time consuming
and even frustrating without any support. However, "the true is out
there"
in the form of HOW-TO/FAQ web pages and postings. It would take time to
learn or find out about aspects of the OS if you are unfamiliar with it. I
knew next to nothing on software RAID until the weekend.

With Windows, if Microsoft don't have a driver for a piece of hardware and
the manufacturer don't have an update for the version of Windows, you are
effectively screwed. With Linux in a similar situation, there is a good
chance that a version of driver exists, usually including source code.

> (disclaimer: we run XP, SBS2003, NT4, Mac OS 9, HPUX and CENTos in
house)

Impressive range of operating systems. You mentioned how good NT4 is as a
media server, would you deploy it commercially for a client? As you know,
NT4 is no longer supported by Microsoft without special arrangement. Any
security vulnerability discovered now is unlikely to be fixed.

> And just to be crystal clear, that's just my opinion, not a statement
of
> fact.

Sorry, my misunderstanding.

Regards,