OT: 5V into 9V what would happen?

  • Subject: OT: 5V into 9V what would happen?
  • From: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:29:19 -0000

The long story

Got may latest ebay B B Bargain (tm) over the weekend, an ethernet
modem, had a few problems getting it to work.

I did the initial configuration OK, and changed all the settings so it
would appear on the LAN, I then moved the unit to what I laughingly
refer to as Node0.

After the move it never responded again, so I gathered up all the bits
ready to fire off an email to the guy selling it, it was then I
noticed:

9V AC 1A on the unit
and 5V 2A on the PSU

Sure enough, the guy confirms he has sent the wrong PSU and he's
supposed to be sending the proper one today.

My question is this, considering the unit powered up for at least 10
minutes before failing, what is likely to have died? Obviously I don't
care if it's the PSU...

Cheers

Steve