Re: Multi source, Multi zone audio software. How?

  • Subject: Re: Multi source, Multi zone audio software. How?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:07:20 -0000

Yes - I can vouch for this mix too as I've just been playing around
with and installing over thae last week or so:

PC with music [cheaper than custom servers!]
SB Audigy 2 ZS [OEM version from ebuyer! - so pretty cheap]
KXProject Drivers (3 Stereo zones - plan to add another card to make
it 6 in all) [free]
Winamp music playback [free] under...
XLobby to control the zones [freeware but you can make a donation!]

Then add in:
Russound power amp to pickup line output from pc and distribute to
speakers from Nzero [Could have been expensive but ebay bargin!]
Pocket PC with wireless lan (to run XLobby server) [these could add up
a bit]
Wireless accesspoint. [Cheap ebuyer bargin a while back]
Russound / Sonance ceiling speakers [Adds up for a few zones!]

So far I have 2 zones up and running (more holes for ceiling speakers
to cut).

Works very well.  Only gotcha so far was the 3.5mm to phono leads from
QED won't all plug into the SB card as the plugs are to wide / sockets
too close together.

I've been very pleasantly surprised with the quality and power
(Russound 50W per channel is an awful lot - really does not need this
much.) Plus ease of use - major family approval.

Only thing I haven't figured is piping analogue radio (R4) back into
the SB line in and then distribute & control via Winamp.

One thing that may be missing for me is an 'alarmclock' function in
XLobby so that I can switch on the radio/music in the morning.

Regards

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "John Nye" <wajcn50@g...> wrote:
> Have a look at Xlobby (http://www.xlobby.com/). You can play
different music
> in each zone, or synch the lot if you are in party mode.
>
> And its Free -:)
>
> John
How?

> > If you go the sound card route - you don't need a card for each
zone -
> just use a SB Audigy (value) and the kxProject audio drivers - you
then get
> 4 stereo channels that look like separate sound cards to other
software. I
> run a single card this way.
> >
> > Paul.

software. How?

> > > Or there's the Squeezebox2. Open source software, very
active
> > > development.
> > >
> > > http://www.slimdevices.com/

distribute the