External light control

I'm in the process of putting up some external lights, which I would
like to be able to automate - a couple on dusk-to-dawn duty, the others
PIR or beam-break triggered.

Retro-fitting cbus and/or installing a HA aware alarm (eg comfort) is a
way off yet, due to the cost. However, it seems a shame to just put up
lighting PIRs in the short term.

The question is, which system do I use? I could create a small cbus
network just for the outside lights, and use cbus sensors, for example.
(Although I suppose there are a few other bits and bobs that could be
put under cbus control, without the disruption and cost of a full
retro-fit)

Putting an alarm in just to control some lights is waaaay overkill and
doesn't make much sense. But in the long term is it better to have the
PIRs connected to the alarm? (Again, there are some areas of the house
that could be connected to an alarm though, without having to go the
whole hog...) I'd still need something to do the actual switching though
- either cbus or generic relays I suppose.

Perhaps a better idea would be to fit suitable PIR sensors that can be
used with either system later, and cobble something together with a
small generic controller (webbrick/netiom etc) for the time being. Can
you use generic PIRs with cbus/alarm systems?

Has anyone had to make this choice before? Any gotchas I should be
thinking about?

Any specific advice as to which PIR sensors to use?

Cheers!

Jim