Re: [OT} mac mini help!

> Windows remote desktop is pretty damned good - about the only thing=20
> that
> does not work well is playing back vide files over the connection, but
> everything else is just peachy....

Yeah - I was pretty impressed with Windows Remote Desktop. - I use the=20
mac mini as my main machine and used RD to link into my work lappy and=20
my other windows machines - works really well.

> I will do, it would just be quicker if I could use the lappy to
access=20
> it.
> And how the hell do I right-click with only one mouse button?? ;)

Argh- you didn't get a mac one button mouse did you ! I suppose that=20
was the only choice on the wireless side.  Apparently, what you need to=20
do is hold down the CTRL key when you click and that gives you the=20
equiv of a right click menu. The rumour mill has it that Apple have a=20
two button mouse in development. I couldn't cope with no right click so=20
I've gone for a wired Apple keyboard and a wired PC 2 button mouse.

> Already got remote desktop up and running, but since the pc I RD to
is=20
> right
> beside it, I may as well just use my KVM to switch over to it;)

Honestly, I've also got a KVM but it's very rarely that I need to=20
switch across physically.

> Yup, will do.  Am afraid to fit my 1GB memory stick now just incase
it=20
> all
> goes titsup.com again.
> Will give it a week or so to settle..

Sod it - just go for it!

Mind you,  I'd be interested to see how it compares if you use the mac=20
mini for a week without the upgrade then switch over.

Keep plugging away - it's worth it. I've copied some notes below which=20
might help - was going to send off list but may be of general interest!

Application Folder
Try to resist the temptation to restructure your applications folder!

To set up an easy way to access the Applications - from the finder drag=20
the applications folder to the right hand side of the dock and release.=20
This will create a shortcut on the dock. To access you can either=20
double click or better still, do a single click and hold down - this=20
will popup a list of the installed apps in a scrollable menu!

Dock
Switch on magnification - position the mouse pointer on the vertical=20
bar in the dock and right click. Also switch on Genie effect - Both of=20
these just add to the WOW factor when you demo :-)

To make it even better, hold the shift key when you minimise!

Lost Windows
If you loose something just press F9 to see all your open windows -=20
tres cool!

Fast User Switching
Just set this up to see it working!

Create a new user and switch on Fast User Switching.

Mail
I've stuck with Apple mail. This is after trying Entourage and=20
Thunderbird. I transfered my mailboxes using Outlook2mac :

http://www.littlemachines.com/

Only cost $10!

Browser
Again, tried Firefox and Camino(?) but ended up sticking with Safari.=20
Theres a good addin which people seemed to recommend called Saft:

http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/

MSN
I=92ve stuck with the pukka version of MSN Messenger 4.0.1:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=3Dmsnmessenger

Access to Shares
SMBManager is the answer to any Windows share issues. It took me a=20
little while to fully understand what it does!

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Network-Admin/SMB-Manager.shtml

For each share on your windows box create another share with a more=20
meaningful name (not strictly necessary but just makes identification=20
easier) eg on my machine home I=92ve a share called downloads. I created=20
a new share called =93Downloads on Homer=94.

In SMB manager, go into edit mode and click the + button in the lower=20
right to add a new share:

Name: This is really just a label for use in SMB Manager
Icon: Whatever

Server Name: Insert IP address of server here
Share: Insert the name of the share on the Windows Box but make sure=20
not to include any spaces e.g =93Downloads%20on%20Homer=94 - no quotes! If=
=20
you dont want to mess with %20 use underscores in the share name. This=20
share name will appear in the top right hand pane of the finder.

Authentication: Enter your windows credentials
Advanced options: Click on Connect to this share on application Launch

To connect manually to the share click on the Connect Button.

Repeat for as many shares you want!

NB The Connect tick boxes in the favourites panel are just indicators=20
that they are connected or not!

To make these shares connect at boot up, go into System Preferences -
>=20
System -> Accounts =3D> Select your account =3D> Slect the Startup
Items=20
tab =3D Click on the + button and select SMB Manager. I also click on=20
hide.

Now when you reboot any shares indicated will automatically connect!

Once booted, the SMB Manager will be hidden but a quick Command, Alt=20
and K will bring it to the foreground.

Launchbar
Well worth a look - perhaps once you=92ve had a play for a while

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/

Text Editor
Superb free text editor
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml

RSS Reader
My preferred RSS tool - integrates with Safari

http://www.newsfirerss.com

Peer to Peer sharing
By the same guy who wrote newsfire

http://www.acquisitionx.com/

Should be enough to be getting on with!

Some tips

Most apps will not close when you click on the Red button - this is=20
good. They stay in memory and load back much quicker. Use CMD and TAB=20
like windows to switch between or use Expose (f9).

Set up some hot corners to make Expose more useful - In System=20
Preferences - personal

Check out the Apple discussion groups in www.apple.com for useful=20
comments and help.

PS Theres loads of mac related Podcasts which you could do with=20
checking out. Started to get into podcasting recently..

Ipodder for podcasting client - http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php

Some good podcasts:

http://www.osxfaq.com/radio/

http://maccast.blogspot.com/