[OT] Phone and data services over cat5

  • Subject: [OT] Phone and data services over cat5
  • From: "Matthew Miles" <m_miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:37:22 -0000

Just a quick question.  Can I run a phone line over the spare pairs on
a cat5 data run?  i.e use ornage and green pairs for data and blue and
brown pairs for voice?

I can rig them to run together using an old patch panel and seperate
the signals out at the other end to 2 seperate data and voice modules.
Is this practical?  I don't want to run loads of cables to each room
as I don't plan to expand network connectivity any further than this
(1 per room).

Cheers,

Matt