Latest message you have seen: Re: OT, PSU 9.6 volts

RE: [OT] Broadband Speed Test (Contention Ratios)

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Broadband Speed Test (Contention Ratios)
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:23:24 -0000

Paul,

I would say contention ratio is important, but as you mention in your
e-mail what is important is who you are in contention with...

I suppose (complete guess) that when you are connected to the D-SLAM in
the local exchange they connect people across all the ports evenly and
not put the first 10 (or whatever the number) on the first i/f card and
then the second etc.

My personal experience in a Rural location with a 512/256 Kb connection
with 50:1 is that I can achieve 40K plus downloads all the time,
regardless of time of day or day of week. Except maybe Sundays that fall
with a Bank Holiday...

Looking at my neighbours I don't think they are 'Heavy' users. My
immediate neighbour uses his laptop occasionally on his B/B connection
to download e-mail. I'm reluctant to mention the BBC Listen Again
service or Bit Torrent to him....

I have heard people with Business Tariffs find out of business hours can
be very good, I suppose because those users have turned off their PCs.
This could change in the future with services like on-line backups
though.

In Summary 50:1 works for me, by your mileage may vary.

HTH

Nigel