Re: [OT] Connecting to my home PC from the intranet

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Connecting to my home PC from the intranet
  • From: "Adrian" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:43:09 +0100

Steve

most adsl routers will not allow incoming sessions unless configured. What
you need to configure is a port redirection (might be under NAT menu) so
when something on the internet tries to talk to your public ip on say port
80 (web) , you need to tell it the private ip to redirect it to

so as an example, you should have a menu somewhere on your adsl router
called port redirection like this

public port        destination ip    destination port
80                   192.168.0.2        80

this will redirect any incoming traffic from the internet to 192.169.0.2,
port 80. You of course redirect it to different port on the PC

public port        destination ip    destination port
80                   192.168.0.2        2034

hope this helps

Adrian

> I have a Netgear Router DG834G and a fixed IP address through my ISP.
have
> a number of 'intranet' web services running on a local PC for example
Nebula
> DIGITV Web interface and XPLRIONET. I would like to be able to access
these
> services when I am away from home, securely,  but have no idea of
where to
> start. If I type in my fixed IP address from my home PC then it takes
me
> my router log-on screen - If I do the same from the office it appears
> hang the router (or it may be an unhappy coincidence. Has anyone any
> pointers?
>
> Steve

Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.2