Re: Internet Usage Statistics

  • Subject: Re: Internet Usage Statistics
  • From: "Keith Finnett" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:35:24 -0000

Darren,

Welcome to my world of DG834-related pain!!

Last week I was playing the my DG834, which apparently supports SNMP
(though not officially and only in more recent firmware updates -
i'm on 2.10.10). Once you have enabled SNMP (go to
http://x.x.x.x/snmp.htm - I think -
to see the config screen), it
still doesn't work until you maually edit the router's iptables via
telnet, which itself has to be enabled by putting the router into
debug mode. The problem is that by default the router blocks SNMP
packets.

So, once you've enabled SNMP and unblocked SNMP packets, you'll find
that you can only monitor the LAN ports. The ADSL port is there, but
there's no SNMP data.

Finally, if you get it working and start monitoring it with PRTG or
similar, at midnight the router seems to revert the iptables to
default, blocking SNMP. And finally, if that wasn't annoying enough,
if you reboot your router you'll also lose the iptables changes.

I've been discussing these and other issues on a Netgear forum:

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?
t=2665&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

Don't get me wrong - it's a great router. Trouble is that SNMP is
not really supported, and so it's been implemented in a half-hearted
way. Couple that with my current issues with setting up a VPN to it
and it's swaying me towards swapping it for something that can do
what I want today (though not sure what that is!!)

Cheers,

Keith

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "darren_karp2001" <darren@a...>
wrote:

> My netgear router would appear to provide me with usage stats but
I'm
> not clear as to what they mean. I have Transmit Packets and
Received