Re: BT Broadband 2MB....a good deal?

Wednesday, March 2, 2005, 11:34:56 AM, you wrote:

d> Hi All,

d> I'm currently with Bulldog Communications paying £24.99 per month for
d> 2MB in the evenings and weekends but as I'm cancelling the telephone
d> number which the service is currently on am looking for another ISP.
d> Bulldog no longer sell this package as they want you to take out a
d> new line with them which I'm not prepared to do.

d> BT Broadband at the same money looks interesting but the only thing
d> that's putting me off is the 15GB per month usage allowance. I'm not
d> a big downloader by any means but have no way to access any kind of
d> logs with Bulldog as to my past usage with them. They also cannot
d> provide this information to me as apparently they do not monitor
d> customers usage.

d> Does anyone have any ideas as to what in real terms 15GB would mean
d> to an average user? Has anyone had any experience with BT Broadband
d> (good or bad)?

d> It appears that more and more ISP's are providing broadband with
d> usage limits and although there are plenty that don't they seem to be
d> aimed more at the business sector and are much more money.

d> Any help appreciated.
d> Darren

In my first month of Broadband (its only just arrived here!) I used
under 2G according to Plusnet, but it all depends on what you consider
to be average. I think Plusnets average is about 6-7G, including users
who seem to be able to download over 150G a month.

There are utilities around to let you check your own usage, PRTG if
you have an SNMP capable router; dumeter http://www.dumeter.com;
Netmeter  http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Bill