Re: Re: Clipsal questions

  • Subject: Re: Re: Clipsal questions
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:02:40 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, David Buckley wrote:

> I dont think the SIM being recognised as an unknown module is an
> accident or a bug.  The toolkit knows perfectly well what its dealing
> with.

I would agree with that. The SIM is manufactured by Clipsal and is a
proper C-Bus module so it must have a unique identification. It may be
that it comes as a special no C-Bus name module until it is further
programmed by an OEM user.

> The SIM was used in the Minder unit.  The Minder was a OEM badged
> product, and for whatever reason, this product no longer exists as a
> Clipsal product, so Clipsal have discontinued the SIM to prevent the
> OEM from continuing to offer their product as out-of-the-box CBus
> compatible, you now need the PCI.
>
> Thus, end of the SIM.

The SIM is part of the C-Bus Enabled programme. The module is the only way
in which an OEM interface with C-Bus "natively" so I would be
surprised if
it is discontinued. Having said that, Clipsal definitely don't like people
using the SIM outside of their C-Bus Enabled programme.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.