Re: OT: Netgear VPN Client

  • Subject: Re: OT: Netgear VPN Client
  • From: "Keith Finnett" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:24:58 -0000

Personally speaking i'm using L2TP from my PC (no firewalls) on a
dial-up to Clara.net, to my router at home on my broadband
connection with fixed IP.

I agree and understand the below issues - they're not applicable
here, but thanks for the suggestions. Looking for specific help with
Netgear DG834 router and Netgear ProSafe software.

Cheers,

Keith

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Yahoo Lists" <ukha@r...> wrote:
> Depending upon the type of VPN it sets up you may hit trouble here.
>
> If it is setting up an IPSec type VPN then I wouldn't be surprised
if
> the reason you cant make a connection from an external location is
one
> of the following 2:
>
> 1 - Your ISP blocks IPSec traffic for users of home ADSL packages -
> number of ISPs do this using the argument that if you need IPSec
traffic
> you should upgrade to a business grade ADSL - more money for them.
>
> 2 - You are trying to connect from inside a company network, many
> companies block out going IPSec traffic (mine does) - I think the
> reasoning is that they don't want the possibility of their network
being
> bridged with an untrusted one.
>
> Typically the easiest way to get around these issues is to use an
SSL
> VPN (usually a costly solution), or force your VPN to use 443 as
its
> port (if this is possible) - companies and ISPs don't tend to block
> traffic over 443.
>
> Rob

Wizard