RE: Re: OT: Netgear VPN Client

  • Subject: RE: Re: OT: Netgear VPN Client
  • From: "Yahoo Lists" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:43:15 -0000

Depending upon the type of VPN it sets up you may hit trouble here.

If it is setting up an IPSec type VPN then I wouldn't be surprised if
the reason you cant make a connection from an external location is one
of the following 2:

1 - Your ISP blocks IPSec traffic for users of home ADSL packages - a
number of ISPs do this using the argument that if you need IPSec traffic
you should upgrade to a business grade ADSL - more money for them.

2 - You are trying to connect from inside a company network, many
companies block out going IPSec traffic (mine does) - I think the
reasoning is that they don't want the possibility of their network being
bridged with an untrusted one.

Typically the easiest way to get around these issues is to use an SSL
VPN (usually a costly solution), or force your VPN to use 443 as its
port (if this is possible) - companies and ISPs don't tend to block
traffic over 443.

Rob