RE: Intelligent home demo

  • Subject: RE: Intelligent home demo
  • From: Martin Wonders <martin.wonders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:03:33 -0000

Ok, looks like I'll do the research :)

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Wonders [mailto:martin.wonders@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 February 2005 16:27
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Intelligent home demo

Hi,

I'm looking to put together an Intelligent home demo, here at the
University
to teach students the fundamentals and possibilities of using Ethernet
as the base system for appliance communications within the modern home.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how we should set this up, in terms of
the technology we use. I'm trying to keep away from proprietary kit
but I think it's unavoidable. My initial ideas are:

Media P.C with Windows MCE
Media P.C with Linux HDTV Media Hub
Cbus kit for lighting (would have proffered EIB but is difficult to source)
Some building management software to interface with Cbus (suggestions
appreciated)
LCD T.V or display?
T.V projector
Barix Barionet
Barix exstreamer
Barix instreamer
distributed audio linked in with Media centre (suggestions appreciated)

any other suggestions or opinions would be appreciated, the focus is on
what's available know but needs to be flexible enough for student projects
to link into. IMHO this
would mean an Ethernet based system that would accept upnp when it evolves.
Xap kit is a possibility and I will be purchasing a CBus to Xap gateway to
test things out.

Many Thanks

Martin

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private
and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please
take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this
e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.