Re: Re: Way OT : Any maths bods around?

  • Subject: Re: Re: Way OT : Any maths bods around?
  • From: "Malcolm Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:56:35 -0000

> Once up there, he would probably want to land again fairly soon -

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  But I suspect all this talk of engine
failures was brought on by the report last weekend of a BA flight from LA
London that suffered an engine failure on take off.  Instead of dumping
fuel
and landing back at LA, or burning some off by diverting to Chicago (for
example), the pilot attempted to fly all the way back to London.

On 3 engines he couldn't reach the normal cruising altitude, and so ran low
on fuel (jet engines are less efficient at lower altitudes) and had to land
at Manchester.  Seems like a crazy risk to take to me.

Mal